At Denbury Primary School, our vision is to encourage children to engage in a healthy lifestyle and understand the importance of physical activity. During our Physical Education, students are given opportunities to practice and display our SMART Values: Sensitive, Motivated, Attentive, Responsible and Truth with enjoyment, inclusion and potential. Staff and children are enthusiastic about PE and this demonstrated through the high quality of teaching of PE. We want our children to develop confidence and competence in a wide range of physical activities. We provide opportunities for children to participate in physical exercise, both in a competitive and non-competitive environment. Through the South Dartmoor Schools Partnership and Primary Liaison, our children are invited to attend festivals and tournaments.
To successfully embed our SMART PE values at Denbury Primary School, the staff and children will be involved in:
· Raising the profile of PE and sport across the school as part of whole school improvement.
· At Denbury, we provide each year group with at least 2 hours of PE filled with fun, excitement and activity.
· In PE lessons, teachers will explain how exercise helps the body in different ways.
· We make clear links to living a healthy lifestyle, healthy diet and identify what foods our body needs.
· Students can choose from our healthy school dinner menu.
· Engagement of students in a broad and balanced PE curriculum from GetSet4PE.
· A broader range of sports and activities offered to all pupils through the South Dartmoor Schools Partnership.
· Regular CPD for staff to provide opportunities to develop knowledge and understanding of different physical activities to KS1 and KS2 children.
· Keep registers of children attending festivals and tournaments to ensure the majority of students participate in a broad range of activities.
· Teachers are encouraged to use active brain breaks during school time involving vigorous aerobic short vigorous aerobic activity.
· In KS2, children are given the opportunity to develop their leadership skills during PE warm ups and activities.
Our Physical Education curriculum is planned carefully to ensure it is of high quality and demonstrates progression so that children are supported in their motor and cognitive development. We measure the impact of our curriculum through:
· GetSet4PE assessment tool which allows us to monitor all students throughout their time at Denbury Primary.
· Participate in the School Games Marks award each year.
· Hold intra-school competitions to observe skills taught throughout a current sequence of learning.
· Children can explain how to keep healthy through exercise and diet.